Thursday, December 8, 2011

Obligation

Obligation (2011)
Mixed Media (colored pencil with acrylic)

When I do a colored pencil unit with students, I try to have one going myself. When I do a demonstration showing how to create different color effects, I demonstrate in the context of my own drawing. From September to December, that's what this was for. I also have students collect multiple sources from different sources to create a collage to use as a reference for the drawing. In that way, when students have questions, I can point to something to show how color choices can be made. We discuss surrealism.

My own choices are random. I find whatever jumps out at me. Sometimes themes emerge. For me this drawing is about the obligations in life: getting up in the morning, grabbing quick breakfast, putting on the monkey suit, beating the traffic -- and somehow an Egyptian slave seemed to fit.

No comments: