It was a great group of committed educators who have a passion for teaching and compassion for the struggling learners. We completed exercises in using comics in lessons to demonstrate:
- Fun reading opportunities for students.
- Comic Book Readers Theater. Reading a comic together as a dramatic exercise.
- Comics Conversions. Using existing comic strips as writing prompts and to teach the conventions of writing dialogue.
- Comic Book Book Reports. Using comics to help students summarize what they have read.
- Graphic Novel Graphic Organizers. Using comics to teach the theme of a book (or how a character changes through the course of a story).
- Using comics to teach onomatopoeia, alliteration and hyperbole.
- Using comics to provide opportunities to discuss bullying and violence prevention.
- Strategies to help students create original cartoon characters and letter their creations with speech balloons.
Here's what one of the participants had to say:
I participated in this workshop presented by Andy and found it to be the most informative and eye opening class ever given by a guest speaker. As a result of what I learned, I am going to co-teach a comic based unit during the summer reading program in a couple of weeks. And, I just returned from the used book store with a copy of Bones for 3 dollars. The vast amount of graphic novels spanning all ages was a reality unknown to me before the presentation. I had heard of Watchmen and 300, and enjoyed the movies. But, was not aware of the many other types. My level of enthusiam regarding graphic novels has increased dramatically. I'm very excited about implementing some of the things learned in the classroom. Thanks a ton Andy. This was a blast.
The participants in this workshop read, wrote and drew to experience various strategies they might like to use with their students some day. They had fantastic questions and it was a great day for me.
Even though most participants weren't art majors, everyone created an original character and made a sketch of it. The results were creative and hilarious!