Friday, May 1, 2009

A Wimpy Kid Hits the Big Time


I think it's interesting that writer and cartoonist Jeff Kinney made the 2009 Time magazine's list of 100 Most Influential People. He is the author of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series of books. This book series is one of the kind of thing that even kids who "hate to read" absolutely can't get enough of. The books are in the form of a kid's diary, with text that resembles a kid's writing and the cartoons are similar to what a young artist might make. They are funny! If you know a reluctant reader, this would be a great gift for them!

2 comments:

Ben Villarreal said...

I've been perusing the books in this series ever since my youngest brother told me how good they are (though I've still not read them completely). But I think this series raises an interesting question concerning where we draw the line of comics, picture books, and books with illustrations.

Andrew Wales said...

Ben,

It depends on whose definition of "comics" you use.

I don't think this is technically a comic book. I think he calls it a "novel in cartoons". However, it is a close relative. Maybe even a hybrid.

The reason I think it's close is because the book could not stand alone without the illustrations, and the illustrations could not stand alone without the text. Also the use of speech balloons seals the deal for me.

Whatever you call it, it's good! I've only read the first one, but I laughed out loud several times. It will help you reconnect with your inner middle-schooler!