Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mimi's Donuts Zine

At the Norman Rockwell Museum Educator's Symposium, I had the pleasure of meeting Marek Bennett, a fellow educator who is also a cartoonist. (Is this a new trend? --educators who are also cartoonists?) Like the indy comics creators we are, we also swapped our self-published comics. Since I got three copies of Mimi's Donuts Zine and he only got one copy of T.A.I.L.S., I definitely got the better deal!

Marek's work is a joy to read. He seems to follow a stream of consciousness train of thought as his comics veer from topic to topic, much like we do when we think. It reads like a daily newspaper strip -- only funny! The topics might deal with elections, teenage angst, biography, Stick Figure Civil War History, or anything really -- but they are always funny.

The zines are in black and white, a look very nice, but wow! They look great online in color. He puts one each week on his website. I started with the current one and read backwards for months. I highly recommend a visit to Mimi's Donuts and to Marek's Blog.

If you are like me and like to read comics you can hold in your hand, you can order copies of Mimi's Donuts Zine at his online store.

Marek also does comics workshops for kids and is a science teacher. What a creative talent! His students are very lucky.

No comments: