Sunday, January 13, 2008

Enigma's Path

Recently I posted one of my comics at the Usagi Yojimbo Dojo and was fortunate enough to get some encouragement and constructive criticism from Stan Sakai.
One criticism I have about the art is that all your characters look about the same size in each panel. Vary it a bit with some close-ups, distance shots, even a silhouette or two, etc.
The strip that follows is my feeble attempt to follow his advice. I was also inspired by a very handy comics creating resource I had remembered seeing called "Wally Wood's 22 Panels that always Work!!"

This fantastic resource gave me some great ideas for practical ways to mix it up a bit.



This comic strip will appear in an upcoming issue of Hopscotch magazine. The theme I had to create a comic for was "Riddles".

2 comments:

Marek Bennett said...

Wow -- this looks great! I like the variation between middle-shot and close-up. That's exactly what you've been teaching your students (as you showed us in your presentation at the Norman Rockwell Museum this past weekend), but I guess it helps to hear your own advice from another expert sometimes, huh?

-- Marek

Andrew Wales said...

Thanks for the comments Marek!

Yes, I think being a teacher has helped me become a better artist. When you have to think about how to explain things, it helps to solidify that process in your own mind.

I've encouraged and tried to use a variety of points of view, but Wally Wood's advice gives ideas on how to mix it up even more.