Friday, January 25, 2008

Challenge #15: The Crescendo Comic

One of my comic strips was coming due with the theme of "Apples" --- sometimes, I have no idea where to go with it.

I'm way behind on my 52 Challenges work too! You know me, I'm always asking myself, "How can I kill two birds with one stone. Challenge # 15 is The Crescendo Comic:

In music, a crescendo is a symbol that tells the musician to transition smoothly from quiet to loud over an amount of time. A decrescendo tells the musician to do the opposite. When these two are right next to each other, it’s sometimes called a “swell.” We already know your comics are swell. Now can you make your writing and art swell in the course of some panels?

Homework for Artists and Writers:
Start “quiet” and “small” and build your comic’s intensity up over the course of 1 or 2 pages. Try to incorporate the crescendo to as many elements of your comic as possible — for instance: your writing, dialogue, art, line quality, color/texture, panel sizes, amount of action in a panel and level of zoom could each (or all) be taken from less to more throughout the course of your pages.

Well, here's my comic strip! Not every thing we make is going to be a masterpiece. Sometimes it has to be "good enough" and move on to the next thing!



2 comments:

Marek Bennett said...

Andrew --

That's a fun one! Using one stone to kill multiple birds (ugh) is a valuable skill. Sure, and why not just have some fun with an episode? I like the dark shadows that give the cave some real depth.

-- Marek

Paul Bozzo said...

Nice twist at the end - and a Newtonian image! Good Indiana Jones music, too. I like all the ideas floating around in a seemingly simple cartoon. PaulB